Firework displays - working together

Resource library Download resource


It’s never too early to start planning for a safe and successful fireworks display. Organisations holding displays need to consider a range of issues including relevant regulations, risk management and insurance coverage.

Planning should cover the following key areas:

  • Finding a suitable location
  • Appropriate site facilities
  • Storage and launching of fireworks
  • What will happen before and after the event
  • Risk assessments
  • Emergency planning.

Comprehensive guidance on how to plan for a successful event can be found in the HSE’s Working together on firework displays and Giving your own firework display.

Relevant regulations

The Firework Regulations 2004 were introduced to help make fireworks safer to use and to tackle deliberate misuse. They cover topics including:

  • Who can possess fireworks
  • When fireworks may be fired
  • The sale and use of noisy fireworks
  • What information about fireworks must be provided at the point of sale

Find out more about the regulations with this guidance from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents: Fireworks Safety and Safer Fireworks

Risk management

As with all events of this nature, conducting relevant risk assessments beforehand and adhering to risk management guidelines on the day will help to prevent a loss or injury occurring.


The public liability cover provided by RMP covers the ‘usual activities’ of a local authority. Special events such as bonfires and firework displays are considered one-off events, so you should let us know you are holding them. It would also be useful to supply us with any planning documentation, including your risk assessments.

Any additional premium payable will depend on the size of the event, your claims experience for similar events and the size of any self-insured retention.

Please note that your public liability cover will not provide cover for other groups such as specialised companies who may be running the event. All but very minor groups and private individuals should have their own public liability cover, and you should make sure that they have it before the event.

How can we help you?

For more advice on how we can help lower the cost of your risk, please email


You can opt out of marketing communications at any time by contacting us.